PhoneCurry.com is an interesting new website that is designed to answer a question that many people struggle with these days – which mobile should I buy ? As an increasing number of Indian look to the internet to research phones before making a buying decision, there is a need for an India specific website that helps them in the process, and PhoneCurry fits the bill quite well.
The site differentiates itself in a number of effective ways:
1. The simple, easy-to-use interface strikes you immediately when you visit the site.
2. Everything is search oriented to help people find phones according to their specific requirements. For instance, a user can do a search such as “Nokia and Samsung phones, costing between Rs 8,000 and 10,000, launched during the last year, having touchscreen, 3G support, full keyboard and in-built social networking”
3. Phone features are not just listed, but also explained, in simple layman terms.
4. Overall opinion is provided around each phone (collated and summarized from various publicly available phone reviews), as well as an overall rating, to make it easy for the user to make his decision.
5. Video reviews are provided for popular phones, which add a nice touch and allow you to see how the phone software etc looks like (something that is often not possible in mobile stores as they have only dummy handsets)
On the whole, the site does very well at presenting a no-nonsense interface to help people decide on a phone quickly and easily. This approach has helped it gain good popularity in short time with about 8,000 unique users a month, almost entirely through word of mouth (the site was launched in February this year, and has done virtually no advertising till now).
About the Founder
The website has been founded by Sahil Bajaj, an alumni of IIT Delhi (2008 Batch). Sahil worked on the website part-time while working in a management consulting firm, and finally quit his job in February this year to launch the website, and focus on it full-time.