svnToday I started working on a project moneyvidya. The application is really big with lots of features and all. But when I tried to copy the source code into beanstalk repository I came to see the “.svn” folders are already created in the application. Delete “.svn” folders in the project is a tedious process since I am using Windows Vista for development. If my operating system was Linux simple “rm” command with a regular expression will do. So I googled it for some help. I got really interesting tip to delete this folders. I would like to share it with you

The  best thing they suggest is creating a registry file (filename.reg) and execute [create a text file named svndelete.reg and insert the code snippet below there after double click on the file that will add registry entry] the code snippet below. Once reg file is executed you will get a menu item called “Delete SVN Folders”  in the context menu. Just right click on click on the “Delete SVN Folders” will delete all “.svn” folders in the directories recursively.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\DeleteSVN]
@=”Delete SVN Folders”
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\DeleteSVN\command]
@=”cmd.exe /c \”TITLE Removing SVN Folders in %1 && COLOR 9A && FOR /r \”%1\” %%f IN (.svn) DO RD /s /q \”%%f\” \”"

delete-svn

Hope you enjoyed the post. Thanks reading tip. If you are interested in recieving my post subscribe me.

Click here to submit your review.

Submit your review
* Required Field

Tags: , , , ,

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Sanil S Founding member of MobMe Wireless Pvt Ltd, Ayruz Web Holdings

< Previous Article
Feed Reader for WordPress
Next Article >
Cloud Computing Based PC

25 comments on “How to remove all “.svn” folders in Windows XP & Vista?

1. Binny V A on said:

If you want to do the same on linux, I am not sure how to do it with ‘simple “rm” command with a regular expression’. But you can remove .svn using the find command.

2. Nice, but it doesn’t work…
    Indeed, an error msg is displayed saying that an association must be defined for this action when I right-click on a folder… :/

3. Sanil S on said:

Are you using Windows Vista ?

4. yeah it doesnt work here either…i think it’s due to the ” used and the fact they’ve been converted to html char codes…as i can’t get it work properly…cmd window flashes up but doens’t remove the folders.

5. Guilherme Duarte on said:

I changed the “” and it worked for me:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\DeleteSVN]
    @=”Delete SVN Folders”
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\DeleteSVN\command]

6. This one worked for me

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\DeleteSVN]
    @=”Delete SVN Folders”
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\DeleteSVN\command]

7. I see the problem is quotations are being replaced when you post in here. Copy and paste the script on your file and then replace the “”" for “

8. Pingback: Recursively delete all .svn folders in Windows - ToxicComa

9. Ketan on said:

Try

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\DeleteSVN]
    @=”Delete SVN Folders”
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\DeleteSVN\command]

10. Lizozom on said:

Worked great!
    Thank you! :D

11. prashant on said:

I followed the link http://www.codelabs.pl/index.php/articles/39-tools/48-svn-installation-on-windows.

while configuring i did some unnecessary setups, so i removed the subversion from the AddRemoves.Then i tried to install same as the abouve url and i ran the command like sc create SvnServe binpath= “C:\Program Files\Subversion\bin\svnserve.exe –service –listen-port 3690 -r \”C:\SvnData\”" start= auto.

Then i got the message like below:
    [SC} create service failed 1073
    the specified service already exists.

any on could help me ,how to config the subversion

thanks

12. Javier on said:

Thank you so much!!

13. stock picks India on said:

Worked awesome!!
    Thank you!

14. Andrew Shved on said:

wow! thx it’s helped me!

15. mario on said:

whats about windows7?
    none of the above worked for me

16. Pingback: How to easily delete Subversion Folders in Windows « The Technological African's Blog

17. Stocks to Buy on said:

Thanks you very much. Awesome method, it’s working.

18. marc on said:

does not work on win7. pls post a script isntead of snippet that are prone to cut + paste conversion issues. Be responsible or dont share.

19. Sanil S on said:

Hi Marc,

Thanks for pointing out that. I wrote the post for Windows XP/ Vista not for Win 7. I will write a post soon for Win 7.

20. Marc (yes I'm also named Marc) on said:

Marc, don’t be an ass.

21. Eduardo on said:

Works like charm in xp and win7, saves lot of time just replace the quotes with normal quotes.

if you copy an past in notepad be sure you remplace all ” with normal double ” in your keyboard

22. worked for me on windows 7 .. thanks buddy

23. Prash on said:

Worked like a charm & saved a few hours..thanks Sanil

24. Quincy Kwende on said:

It works ….. just find and replace all inverted commas with inverted commas… this site uses special inverted commas

25. JT Mudge on said:

Just want to say that I have used this for years. I still come back here when I need to set up a new PC. Great post. Works on XP, Vista, 7. Even on a few Windows web servers. Now if Tortoise would only build this in.